Go to main content of the website

History

Mill's Visit

Le Moulin de Lonceux has exceptional conservation value. Mentioned on the 18th century Cassini maps, it is one of the last homogenous complexes of its type in the Beauce region. For several centuries the mill has produced dozens of tons of flour each year.

The water regulation of the mill is an ordinance of King Louis-Philippe signed at Tuileries Palace in 1886. It governs le Moulin de Lonceux as well as other mills in the neighbourhood on the river Voise. This ordinance is still in force today.

As indicated by the dates engraved on the façade, the mill was renovated during the 19th century. (1863 and 1877)

Witness the historical and sociological beginnings of the early industrialization age. The mill includes all the original mechanics including a generator to produce electricity. (Electric power only became available in 1966…)

The establishment of the train station for passengers and the goods of Levainville allowed the heavy flour wagon pulled by draft horses until 1939, to be replaced by a train towards Auneau on one side and Dreux on the other. From there, the flour was transported to Paris.

During the next 20 years (1950-1970), the mill was grinding barley and crushing oats. When the Voise water level was too low to start the wheel, the gears were activated by a charcoal boiler.

For a while the mill was abandoned … the wheel was reinstalled between 1969 and 1972.

Then it became the property of a series of private owners, who maintained and restored it and made it run for their own pleasure. It was entirely renovated in 2004 and 2005 by the previous owners who hired a private company specialized in antique mechanisms.

Because of this restoration, the mill is producing flour again, ground on millstones just as in previous times. This process gives the flour its tasty and nutritional qualities.